There is a significant historical and contemporary African presence in Mexico particularly--and in Latin America generally. Example: Africans were brought to Mexico as slaves beginning in the 16th century. At one point--more African slaves came to Mexico numerically than to any other point in North America. The same is true for other countries such as Brazil. So the racial/ethnic makeup of Mexicans is not only Spanish and Indian--but the "tercera raiz" or "third root"--African. All that said; African Americans should be fostering unity with Mexicans and other Latinos for our mutual benefit. Conversely--Mexicans and other Latinos should foster ties and linkages with us. Do you have close school/business/ personal/social (romance or marriage?)/community relationships with Mexicans or other Latinos? What have been your experiences?

MELANET UnCut Chat and Discussion: MelaNet UnCut Talk: There is a significant historical and contemporary African presence in Mexico particularly--and in Latin America generally. Example: Africans were brought to Mexico as slaves beginning in the 16th century. At one point--more African slaves came to Mexico numerically than to any other point in North America. The same is true for other countries such as Brazil. So the racial/ethnic makeup of Mexicans is not only Spanish and Indian--but the "tercera raiz" or "third root"--African. All that said; African Americans should be fostering unity with Mexicans and other Latinos for our mutual benefit. Conversely--Mexicans and other Latinos should foster ties and linkages with us. Do you have close school/business/ personal/social (romance or marriage?)/community relationships with Mexicans or other Latinos? What have been your experiences?
By
alva stevenson ( - 164.67.4.52) on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 04:06 pm:

I am of African American and Mexican lineage; so am quite interested in the responses.

By zzzzzzz ( - 63.14.119.100) on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 09:10 pm:

interesting post, i have several Latino friends,
all are hard working, good people...there's a relatively new musuem dealing with the "third
root"...are u familiar with it Alva?
it's called:
Museo de Culturas Afromestizas Vicente
Guerrero Saldana in Cuajinicuilapa

By Jim ( - 63.208.87.171) on Friday, April 6, 2001 - 09:00 am:

I remember reading that roughly 80% of slaves brought to the new world were originally slated for Brazil and Haiti; once in Haiti they were dispersed to other parts of the West Indies. Only 15% of the African slave trade came to what is now the U.S. I've never heard or read of any significant African slave population in Mexico, though, and in several trips to Mexico, I've rarely seen black people. Do you have any information that a significant number of black Africans ever ended up in Mexico? If so, what?
Thanks.

By zzzzzz ( - 146.18.173.76) on Friday, April 6, 2001 - 10:51 am:

In the sixteenth
century, New Spain--as Mexico was then called--probably had more
enslaved Africans than any other colony in the Western Hemisphere.
there's some interesting info on about.com on
the african slaves in mexico, here's part of an article on the subject:

Blacks were present as slaves of the Spaniards as early as the 1520s.
Over the approximately three hundred years it lasted, the slave trade
brought about 200,000 Africans to the colony. Many blacks were born in
Mexico and followed their parents into slavery. Not until 1829 was the
institution abolished by the leaders of the newly independent nation.

By alva stevenson ( - 164.67.4.52) on Friday, April 6, 2001 - 02:51 pm:

Hi zzzzzzz, I am familiar with the Museo in Cuaji though I haven't visited.

For Jim, zzzzzzz and others who are interested: there are several books which give some basic background on Blacks in Mexico (1) Colin Palmer's "Slaves of the White God: Blacks in Mexico, 1570-1650. Harvard Uniersity Press, 1976; (2)Patrick Carroll's "Blacks in Colonial Veracrus: Race, Ethnicity and Regional Development. University of Texas Press, Austin, 1991. If you read Spanish you might want to check out the research of Aguirre Beltran, the first Mexican scholar to study Blacks in Mexico ("La Poblacion Negra en Mexico," 1989 and "La Poblacion Negra en Mexico: Estudio Etnohistorico," 1991 among many other works) There's also a very good website called "Bobby Vaughn's Black Mexico Homepage." Dr. Vaughn is researching the Blacks who live on the Pacific Coast in a region called Costa Chica (www.stanford.edu/~bvaughn/) Finally, you may want to do an internet search for the photographs of Tony Gleaton, who has visually documented the Afro Mexicans in the Costa Chica region.

The African presence in Mexico has been diluted through centuries of intermixing. I understand that currently only 1% of Mexicans self-identify as such. The key word here is "self-identify." Mexicans are in a state of denial about the African component of "Mexican-ness." Being Mexican is couched in a Spanish-Indian paradigm which leaves Mexico's Blacks out of the equation. As in other New World countries which were subject to slavery and colonialism; Blacks are devalued and left out of the national discourse You will find concentrations of Black Mexicans today in such areas as Oaxaca, Xalapa; Costa Chica; Chiapas; and Cuajinicuilapa among others. I am completing my Masters in African American Studies. My thesis will focus on the self-identity of Afro-Mexicans in the U.S. As such--I've done quite a bit of research on persons of African descent in Mexico. I would be pleased to share my knowledge with any who are interested.

By DARKOVERLORD ( - 211.61.251.241) on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 08:05 pm:

BACK TO SLAVERY-PUT THE BOYZ BACK IN THE FIELDZ!!!

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: