Kwanzaa - What is the proper greeting during this holiday?

MELANET UnCut Chat and Discussion: MelaNet UnCut Talk: Kwanzaa - What is the proper greeting during this holiday?
By
Bob ( - 208.41.15.162) on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 10:08 pm:

I am a white male who is jewish and was taught to respect others beliefs as well as my own. I'll wish a christian a Merry Christmas but expect them to wish me a Happy Channuka and am offended when those who know I'm Jewish wish me a Merry Christmas. Now that I have become more aware of what Kwanzaa is I would like to show my Black friends the same respect. What I've learned so far is that wishing a friend a "Happy or Merry Kwanzaa" is not correct. I have found out that there is a different greeting for each day. However I do not know what these pharses are nor the correct enunciation. Would you please help!

By Nancy Williams ( - 152.163.206.179) on Sunday, December 24, 2000 - 09:30 pm:

Happy Hannuka Bob,

It begins on the 26th of December. Each
day a different principle and symbol.

Kwanzaa has seven principles.

Umoja (Unity)
Kujichagulia (Self determination)
Ujima (Collective work and responsibility)
Ujamaa (Cooperative Economics)
Nia (Purpose)
Kuumba (Creativity)
Jmani (Faith)

The seven basic symbols are
Mazao (Crops)
Mkeka (Mat)
Kinara (Candle holder)
Muhindi (Gifts)
Kikombe cha Umoja (Unity cup)
Mishumaa SAba ( Seven Candles)

I hope this help.

Asante

By FuManChu ( - 209.255.91.198) on Tuesday, December 26, 2000 - 03:58 pm:

bob, I was wondering what jewish people think about Jesus. I know you dont believe he was crist, but someone once told me they thought he was at least an angel or something like that.
Thank you :)

By TELLYZMAIL ( - 64.12.103.49) on Tuesday, December 26, 2000 - 04:46 pm:

WHAT DOES THE WORD "KWANZAA" MEAN?

By Bob ( - 208.41.15.162) on Tuesday, December 26, 2000 - 05:28 pm:

FuManChu,

As Jews we believe that Jesus was not any different than you or I. Just someone who lived near the time of the destruction of the second Temple in Jerusalem. We believe that when the Messiah comes all Jews and the rightious non-jews will go to "Olam Habaa" Since we are not in "Olam Habaa" we believe the Messiah has not come, therefore Jesus was not the Messiah.

Some people try to describe "Olam Habaa" as heaven but there is no discription of "Olam Habaa" because no one has been there and returned yet. I guess we just have to wait!

By the way if my memory is any good I believe that I was once taught that the word christ was a Greek word for Messiah.

Through my limited studies of other religions, I seem to recall that Islam believes that Jesus was another prophet before Mohammed.

I am not a scholar but I believe this information is correct. I hope this has been helpful.

By Cteach1 ( - 205.188.196.53) on Wednesday, December 27, 2000 - 05:29 pm:

The word Kwanzaa actually comes from a Phrase which when broken down to it most basic simply means "The First Fruits" because kwanzaa is a harvest holiday that bonds the family and communtity. Hope that help Bob and Happy Hannuka!

By Jon ( - 216.24.73.116) on Tuesday, February 27, 2001 - 08:45 pm:

The proper greeting is to masturbate ferociously while sippin a 4-0, ne-gro!

By MsDazurei ( - 172.136.163.79) on Friday, April 13, 2001 - 06:12 pm:

Is there anyway you can delete offensive material which degrades the essence of this forum.

Dazurei

By White Vampire ( - 216.24.73.206) on Sunday, April 15, 2001 - 01:19 pm:

In answer to your question, b>i>t>c>h: No- there's no way to delete anything, so can it.Also , is the forum itself not degraded? Not the "essence"of the forum. You're just trying not to be "wordy". Also, you asked a question, and I don't see a question mark. Consider yourself corrected , slutcake.

P.S. You suck.

By White Vampire ( - 216.24.72.163) on Saturday, April 21, 2001 - 11:05 am:

Dazurei is gay.

By Maria ( - 24.130.192.181) on Saturday, April 21, 2001 - 04:26 pm:

Unfortunatly, no Dazurei.

By DARKOVERLORD ( - 211.61.251.241) on Saturday, April 21, 2001 - 07:56 pm:

READ THE OTHER POST ABOUT HOW FUKKED UP AFRICA IS! NIGGER COULDN'T MAKE A CIVILIZATION IF IT WAS GIVEN TO THEM! LOOK AT HOW THEY MOVE INTO A NICE WHITE AREA AND QUICKLY MAKE IT A GHETTO!!

NIGGERS ARE TOO SUB-HUMAN TO DO ANYTHING BUT FUKK UP WHATEVER THEY TOUCH!!

By kimberly merriwether ( - 144.59.13.2) on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 02:58 am:

The proper greeting during Kwaanza is "Habari Gani", which means, " what's the news". You respond to this by saying "Umoja" or whatever day that corresponds with a principle.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: