When Black Men Ruled the World

MELANET UnCut Chat and Discussion: When Black Men Ruled The World (On Africentrism): When Black Men Ruled the World
By LDB on Friday, November 19, 1999 - 04:49 pm:

Testing program for Legrand H. Clegg

By Legrand H. Clegg II (Clegg) on Monday, December 6, 1999 - 06:19 pm:

Testing

By may on Friday, December 24, 1999 - 01:34 pm:

I believe the real question is "What led to the fall of the Black rulership of our own land, culture and people! Yes! Slavery did take place and Yes! Even today we are dealing with the dynamics of that almost four thousand year journey! However, spiritually speaking, it seems to me that there is something more! Something under all the history past and present that is speaking to black people today! Could it all have been divine prophesey afterall? And if so, why? We already know how! So where do we go from here? No! I'm not talking from spook-town! I truly believe there is something much greater than ourselves that played a role in our demise and downfall. I also believe something greater than us will raise us up again! And No! I'm not sitting around waiting on a ghost spirit to come and free me from the situation! We have much work to do on our own behalf to improve our individual, family and community situations. I know this! Yet! Still I say there is something more! What do you think?

By James C. Smith on Friday, December 24, 1999 - 07:41 pm:

Our first step should be to cast away from our
mind and memory the standards which we are allowing to govern us (Western academia). Black
educators especially should take the lead but
the major obstacle for us all is to admit that we were intentionally mis-educated. We are in need of an renaissance if more of us present evidence which support the historical facts as it relates to our achievements the main obsticle will remove
itseft. Tainted knowledge = None .
Western Academia = European Dominance . J C Smith

By C. Nations on Sunday, December 26, 1999 - 12:36 pm:

I really dislike the so called" Black Family Pledge", written by the great poet Maya Angelou.

When did that poem become a pledge to represent our celebration for Kwanzaa?

It is not true and it is very negative. We are celebrating Kwanzaa because we are remembering our ancestor.

With here talent she could have come up with something much better.

Please respond.
Thank you,
C. Nations

By BornBlack on Sunday, December 26, 1999 - 04:00 am:

One idea is that through knowledge of self we become righteous and powerful. But many of us have knowledge of self. And many of us are still unable to make the apparently, extremely difficult transition from what a brother once called "white junior" to the independent Black man and woman. White Jr. refers to those of us who look just like the European, dress just like them, eat, celebrate, and even think just like our oppressors. We celebrate all of their holidays and even those of us who "know" that Christmas is anti-Jesus, anti-community, anti-African-American, we celebrate it. Even though many of us "know" that Thanks Giving is the celebration of the holocaust inflicted upon our brothers and sisters, native to the Americas, we justify its celebration as a day of thanking God for our blessings. Why not create another day to thank God for our blessings? Why not be independent, instead of White Jr.? I think its because knowledge of self is not enough. And that is very unfortunate. Because it make things seem hopeless. If not knowledge of self, then what will help our people?

I think we have to seek to re-establish black rulership! We have to make the effort to totally eliminate all Western conceptualizations from our practices. We will have to continue to construct our own forms of culture. This can be understood as "re-creating" our future. We created so many beautiful things before the European was spawned from us or grafted or developed from us or from some other thing. We should not need others now to help us determine our culture. KUJICHAGULIA!

Well, what do you think?

By ayo on Monday, December 27, 1999 - 03:22 pm:

i think we have to see ourselves as the kings and queens we were thousands of years ago. knowledge is power that is why the european kept the knowledge from us after they stole it from us and put there name on it.they know how powerful we are.we are the ones that don't know. we must go back to our roots and discover this power so that we can teach all our children so they can run the world in the way the creator intended for us to.

hotep

By Tom on Wednesday, December 29, 1999 - 09:52 pm:

I think you should all stop complaining. You enjoy the freedom most people would love to have, in the greatest country in the world. You should stop the African American bull and just call yourselves Americans, otherwise why don't we see a great increase in the purchase of oneway tickets back to your so called "Motherland" I didn't think so you are all enjoying America so again stop complaining and start contributing to making it better.

By BornBlack on Thursday, December 30, 1999 - 03:55 am:

Hotep, I want to humbly and respectfully ask:
What this very secretive knowledge is? How many
of us currently have it? How many of us needs to
posses it in order to bring about the
revolutionary changes needed and desired? Where
does one get it from? What would make our
repossession of it stronger than our oppressors'
possession of it? And, how do so many of us
understand that we need to obtain this knowledge
in order to make things happen, yet, we never
seem to finally get the gasp on it? I am very
fearful that this elusive "knowledge" we have
been referring to for such a long time is not the
ONLY key. I have "some" knowledge of my African
and African-American (black) history. I
understand that we were (and still are) a proud,
civilized, righteous, peaceful, intelligent,
loving, gentle, courageous, strong, and powerful
people. I also understand that we are (and have
been) capable of the opposite characteristics as
well. But I am extremely confused about "HOW" we
utilize this seemingly illusive knowledge to
uplift our people.

I am fearful that we have tricked ourselves into
believing that this "knowledge" that we often
speak about is something that some certain number
of us must seek out BEFORE any real work can be
done to uplift our people. I used to say that we
needed this knowledge and then we will all start
loving each other again, that it would be so
powerful that it would erase the self-hatred we
have learned from our oppressors for centuries,
that it (the knowledge) would cause us to support
each other, respect each other, etc. But then I
had to ask myself, "How is that so?" What is in
this knowledge that would cause all of this? Do
I have this knowledge myself? I love my people.
I try to do what I can to help our struggle. I
make the effort to spend my money within the
black community to support black merchants. I
try and educate those of our people who I
encounter and find that they can benefit from my
teaching. I try to speak highly and think
positively about the future of our people. I
read to learn more about our history. Does this
indicate that I possess the knowledge?

Certainly I have listened to people whom I
believe have this divine knowledge. I have read
some of their books. But what now? Of the 40
some million Black Americans, what percentage
would need this knowledge before significant
progress can be made? What percentage already
has such knowledge? Does any of that matter? I
know I am asking much more questions than
providing answers, but that is because I am
admitting to my confusion about the subject; I
need enlightenment.

I have frequently heard and read about our being
Kings and Queens in African and that we need to
start thinking of ourselves in this way again.
Please forgive my ignorance, but when I first
heard this idea that we should think of ourselves
in this way, I understood that to mean that we
should realize that we were civilized people who
established hierarchical systems of governing
ourselves. I understood that some of us where
either chosen, fought for, or were born into
positions of great power over the masses of
others within some of our nations. Now, when I
hear our people say, "we are Kings and Queens," I
interpret it to mean that they believe that each
one of us (each black person) is either a King or
a Queen. But this can not be. For, if we all
are of the highest rank, then who is of lower
rank? I know that this will sound like arrogance
to some who read this. And I apologize for my
lack of sophistication to bringing the issues
forward without causing some to become upset with
me. But I have to speak about this because it
has been on my mind for far too long. I believe
we see ourselves in this non-communal way too
much. Too many of us think its all about "me-the
King or the Queen." And I say this to point out
that I am not so sure that this is what we should
be promoting. Not everyone is a King or Queen
and not everyone within a single nation can be
that. And I don't believe that most of us want
to be governed by Kings and Queen anymore.

I think we want to be able to determine our
existence for ourselves, by ourselves. And the
way to do that in this country is through cooperative economics and collective work and responsibility. I think that is the lesson of
our past, that is the knowledge we are searching
for. It's right here as it has always been.
We've always known it, but we are still too weak,
even with knowledge. We need Courage!!! The
courage to fight and struggle.

Just one Black man's opinions and questions...

By Joshua K. on Thursday, December 30, 1999 - 12:22 pm:

Kwanzaa is a separatist holliday. It has no place in a society that is trying to mend gaps between races. The majority of black people in the United States are Christian, anyway! Why do they need another religious holliday besides Christmas?

By Baba Peter on Saturday, January 1, 2000 - 01:30 pm:

Two things will help us reach that which we once had and beyond. Promote and help instill ACE, Afrikan Centered Schools in your neighborhoods and residential districts. First example is CIBI (Council of Independent Black Institutions). This is the ultimate form of education for the rebuilding of Black Nation Hood.Then and only then will we have a community as define by the true meaning and not just neighborhoods controled by outside intrest. Second, work to install an Afrikan Centered Curriculum in the your public school district similiar to Chick African Schule in Kansas City Missouri and those in Detroit such as Malcolm X, Paul Robeson and twenty others. Malcolm X does not fly the American flag, the fly the Liberation Flagg at a Public School. Third is supplementary schools such as rites of passages and study groups along with culture events in the neighborhood. Fourth, we need more Afrikan Centered Churches such as New Ephesus in St. Louis were pastor Ray Hagins will throw the Holy Bible on the floor and tell you when you get to where you need to be, you do not need this Greco Roman confusion.

Well, are you ready? Then get to work. We can ill-afford to waste any more time.

Maat-Hotep

Imani Asante, Habaragani

Bro-Peter, St. Louis.

By Giza on Monday, January 3, 2000 - 02:04 am:

BornBlack and Baba Peter are right!
We don't need a"Book" to make a successful life in Amerikkka and I hope almost everyone now knows about the"Christian Conspiracy"if not those who are ignorant about that should learn about the NICENE COUNCIL you will be surprised!

By BlackBorn on Monday, January 3, 2000 - 03:57 pm:

Joshua K., you need to do much more research. Thank you Bro-Peter, very enlightening information.

BlackBorn

By Praying for everyone on Tuesday, January 4, 2000 - 11:02 am:

I hear these words of longing to be back to the roots of african heritage, but as an self-educated person I see the end result was that it did not work. so why try it again? I dont want to go back there! Are you Crazy?
"I do not care to be called African American for i am not from africa" is a quote i saw on a previous post, and I take this stand as well.
I think BornBlack had it right on his december 30 post at the end of his statement.
All these ideas of tryng to get more separated with the schools, holidays and celebrations after all we have fought for to become desegregated!
It sounds extremely destructive.
It seems to me that this American way of life I have been born into has been very effective and i enjoy it. But i do work very hard for what i have and i was not spoon-fed.
Do not let someone elses good ideas lead you astray on the hopes of eternal salvation or success.
If it sounds to good to be true, it is.
Believe in Christ. It is NOT a conspiracy.
There is no "HIDDEN KNOWLEDGE"
There is no "CONSPIRACY"
There is only hard work, where alot of it is being wasted on the search for a better way, when it is right in front of our faces.

By KJ on Thursday, January 6, 2000 - 12:57 pm:

KWANZAA YENU IWE NA HERI.

By kwabena on Friday, January 7, 2000 - 01:43 pm:

ADUPE KJ!!!

ASE!!!

By lostson on Monday, January 10, 2000 - 02:56 pm:

When Black men take a stand and take care of there childen that when a true Black Man can rule the world.

By kwabean on Monday, January 17, 2000 - 09:35 pm:

I believe too many "Black" folks in America know
too much about the legacy and history of our
oppressors . We collectively know very little
about our history before Aug.4, 1444 "Slavery".
Without a more complete knowledge of those that
look like us or me, it is fundamentally impossible
to have a psycholigically balanced appreciation
for who I am and can be . I applaud the
discussion in this forum . It is thoughtful and
sincere . I must heal myself from centuries of
lies, deception , stolen accomplishments, etc. We
also have a responsibility to correct the
deliberate diminishing of the legacy and
traditions of our ancestors .

There seem to be some Black folk who are very
content to try to assimulate into America . I
only say to them, it has been tried for a very
long time with devastating results .

The knowledge my brother so eloquently speaks to
find is in my opinion and experience, the
knowledge of our traditions, rituals and
philosophies . Excellent work has been done by
Dr. Anthony Kojo Mensah in his Adult Rites of
Passage Process . Kwabena Paul Hill of Cleveland
has consulted with Nana Mensah for well over 10
years in augmenting his own "villiage building"
and curriculum development . Sankofa !!! It is
not taboo to go back and fetch it . Fetch the
knowlege of our glorious past and it will
spiritually allow you and those you can influence,
to soar, even in this racist land .

By Infinite Knowledge/Wisdom ( - 130.49.172.29) on Wednesday, April 26, 2000 - 10:57 pm:

To praying for everyone: It is obvious that educating yourself really did not work. You probably just educated yourself on whatever the white man wanted you to believe. In any case here go to this webpage: http://www.pitt.edu/~mpast7/HumanLove.html and http://www.pitt.edu/~mpast7/Conscious.html perhaps you'll learn something. If you would rather be American that's cool but this founders of America had no intentions of seeing you prosper here and America racist system still does not want to see us prosper. If you think I am wrong then check out the schools. I don't have the exact research right now, but if you are interested, email me and I will get it for you. The research says that before entering schools Blacks and Whites have the same cognitive ability and after entering schools their is a growing disparity every year with Blacks on the lower end. And if I have to tell you about the racist judicial system, I would just say that you really need to do more research. These are two of the biggest institutions that determine the lives of Americans and they are biased against you. You never willfully came to America you were brought here as a slave so you are different from the other Americans. Lastly, this system is only functioning because they brought your ancestors here as slaves and stole American Indian land. It won't last though. But be American if you want.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: